Saturday 14 09 2024
Event code
Meeting point
Entrance of the museum Mahy, Rue Erna 3 (Rue des Fabriques) 7900 Leuze
€ 62
Non- members
€ 67
Max Attendees
Registration closes on
September 06
Rescue Phone
0474 464 009

Please find driving directions below the main text

Bank account of “National Trust Belgium” (NTAB)
BE17 0016 2443 2021

Hainaut, vintage cars and an elegant château

Tucked away in the municipality of Leuze-en-Hainaut, the Mahy collection is without doubt one of the most diverse and representative automobile displays of veteran, vintage and classic cars in Belgium and even in Europe.

When Ghislain Mahy bought his first car in 1944, he had no idea that his 1921 Ford T would be the beginning of a collection of more than 1000 vehicles by 2000. The first vehicles were housed for more than half a century in Ghent at the old “Winter Circus” building.

In 1986, 200 vehicles of the collection were transferred to the Autoworld museum in Brussels were they remain on display to this day. The remainder had to wait until 1997 for a new storage facility which was to be the former “ Ernaelsteen” textile factory in Leuze.

Today, the museum basically displays everything that relates to the automobile and road transport since 1895.

The Château d’Attre, one of the most authentic witnesses of the 18th century in Belgium, is located in the Hainaut municipality of Brugelette.

The present building in neo-classical style dates from 1752 and was built by count François-Philippe Franeau d’Hyon, count of Gomegnies, on the foundations of an older castle. The Louis XV style is due to his son François-Ferdinand, chamberlain at the court of emperor Joseph II of Austria. The entire interior design would not be completed until 30 years later.

The governess of the Austrian Netherlands, archduchess Marie-Christine (sister of Joseph II) and her husband Albert of Saxony willingly frequented the castle for hunting parties in the surrounding woods (1782 until 1788). An artificial rock with a pavilion at the top was erected to serve as an observation point. In 1814 the castle passed by marriage to the Val du Beaulieu family.

The protected park, in the heart of the 17 hectare estate bordered by the Dendre, is worth a detour as well.

Programme of the day

10.30-11.00: Welcome coffee or tea in the museum cafeteria

11.00-12.00: Guided tour of the vintage car collection

12.00-12.30: Free visit to other museum rooms

12.30-14.30: Lunch at the restaurant “Le Jadis” Grand-Place 3  7900-Leuze –  a 5-minutes drive from the museum. Parking on the market square.

Lunch consists of 2 courses incl. 1 drink (wine-beer-soft) and coffee or tea.

Additional drinks are at the expense of the participants. Vegetarian or gluten-free meals available if requested upon registration.

14.30-15.00: Getting to the Château d’Attre, 8 Avenue du Château, 7941-Brugelette, about 20 minutes drive via Ath (20 km)

15.00-17.00: Guided visit to the château and free visit to the park

How to get there

  • By car: A8-E429 exit Leuze-en-Hainaut/Frasnes; follow the N60 to Leuze. At the round-about take the turning to Tournai (N7). After about 1.5km turn left, just behind the “ Total” garage. Do not cross the railway, but continue straight into Rue Erna, keep the railway to your right and follow the road for about 250 m. The museum car park/entrance is on your left.

Participants are kindly asked to consider carpooling and make their offer known to those who do not have a car.

  • By train: Line Schaarbeek-Mouscron to Leuze-en-Hainaut station. Walk through the pedestrian underpass at the railway station, turn left and follow the path parallel to the track (Rue des Fabriques=Rue Erna). The museum is situated at about 800m from the station, a 10 minutes’ walk.

If you have registered and paid for this event, please let the organizer know by email, as he will provide more detailed information and practical guidelines in the week prior to the outing (list of participants, carpooling, lifts, etc.).