Date
Saturday 25 04 2020
Event code
2003
Departure
10:00
Meeting point
Entrance of La Boverie, Esplanade de l'Europe 2
Members
€ 53
Non- members
€ 60
Max Attendees
50
Registration closes on
April 18
Organiser
Roland and Martine Walckiers  (dr.walckiers@skynet.be) & Christine de le Vingne
Rescue Phone
0475 929 985

Please find driving directions below the main text

Bank account of “National Trust Belgium” (NTAB)
BE17 0016 2443 2021

Liège: Fine art at La Boverie and the City’s Major Landmarks

For eight-hundred years (985-1789) Liège was the capital of a sovereign state, the principality of Liège, which extended to the French, Dutch and German borders.  At the intersection of the Germanic and Latin worlds, the city took up a leading position in the Industrial Revolution, which enabled it to develop cultural tools and major works of art. Today, Liège remains the economic capital of Wallonia.

We get together at La Boverie, the renovated (2016) museum of Fine Art.  With the new footbridge, ‘Passerelle La Belle Liégoise’, the museum is just 12 minutes’ walk (950 m) from Liege-Guillemins railway station.

The museum is housed in the former Palais des Beaux-arts, which was built in the Parc de la Boverie for the “Exposition Universelle et Internationale de Liège” in 1905. That exposition was a world’s fair to show Liege’s industrial importance and to mark 75 years of Belgian independence.

The Parc de la Boverie is situated on the southern tip of the island of Outremeuse, near the mouth of the Ourthe. The building’s classic wing is on the right bank of the river Meuse.

The site was renovated from 2013 to 2016, including a new modern wing that multiplied the exhibition space.  Roughly 1/3 is reserved for the permanent collection while 2/3 is available for temporary exhibitions on the upper floor.

At arrival we welcome our members in the museum’s auditorium, where we first hold our association’s Annual General Meeting.

We take lunch in the restaurant of the nearby ‘Congres Hotel Van der Valk’.

After lunch we take a ‘navette’ boat to the city centre. There our guides (French & English) will walk and talk us around the major landmarks, among others the ‘collegiate Saint Denis’, founded in 987.

The organized outing will finish around 17h.

If you want to extend the day’s outing and spend a weekend in Liège, the organizers recommend the Van der Valk hotel.

You can make private reservations by phone or email:  T. 04 441 200         reception@hotelliege.eu 

by train: With the new footbridge, called 'Passerelle La Belle Liégoise', the La Boverie museum is just a 12 minutes’ walk (950 m) from Liege-Guillemins railway station. In front of the station take Rue Paradis to reach the bridge

by car: 100 km / 1 hour from Brussels.
Parking Palais des Congrès, Esplanade de l'Europe, in front of the Van der Valk hotel.
The organizer will welcome car poolers from 09:30h on and show them a short-cut to the entrance of La Boverie (10 min-800m).

We recommend the 'Congrés Hotel Liège Van der Valk' if you want to extend the day's outing and spend a weekend in Liège.
T 04 441 200 reception@hotelliege.eu